Friday, June 7, 2013

This may seem a strange selection for a blog based on the desert, but it is such an evocative photo I had to publish it.  It was taken by my mother when she attended the San Francisco Exposition in 1939.  In a few short years, if that ship survived Pearl Harbor, it would have been in the heat  of the War in the Pacific.  I'm hopeful that someone will be able to identify the ship.  Or at least the class of vessel it belonged to, I cannot.  The image was not in an album, I found it when I developed old negatives.  So I haven't any other information about it.  Hope someone out there knows more than I do!!!

2 comments:

  1. Consensus is, that this is the USS Colorado. It fits all of the descriptions and we have found pictures online. A tough ship in WWII, it survived twenty nine hits in one battle. This picture is a few years before the war. We were technically at peace at the time this ship was visiting San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a bit more of a mystery, and one that I'm afraid cannot be solved. This photo was taken with a telephoto lens. Pricier equipment than my family could afford at the time. This was the tail end of the Depression! Who gave the negative to her, or to her parents, we don't know. I'm just glad they did.

    ReplyDelete